[tor-relays] whonix tor-relay - help needed

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sat Feb 24 18:55:00 UTC 2018

peter.zehetner at liwest.at wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I try to configure a tor relay on an whonix-gateway but I allways
> receive the answer that my server has not managed to confirm that its
> ORPort and its DIRPort are rechable.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks Peter

If you're using whonix-gateway you are probably in a virtual machine
that has a NAT virtual adapter with the host's physical network
interface. You need to forward the ORPort (and DirPort) from host to
guest in the virtualization software -> virtual network editor settings.

If the host itself is behind NAT you might need to do yet another port
forwarding in the router that connects the host to the internet.

Or, you can setup in the virtualization software, for the network card
attached to the whonix-gateway virtual machine Bridged networking
instead of NAT, so that it will get an IP directly from the router and
just do just one port forwarding from the router to the
whonix-gateway-vm IP instead of two.

However, unless your host has many many resources, it does not make
sense to run a Tor relay in a vm. There are torrc settings that make it
use as many resources as you'd like to give it (ram, cpu, bandwidth,
including accounting for metered connections). I recommend you install
Tor directly and properly edit torrc to satisfy your needs.