[tor-relays] torservers.net DNS failure rate

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Mon Feb 19 14:26:48 UTC 2018

On 18.02.2018 14:30, nusenu wrote:
> Arthur's DNS exit scanner is detecting a high
> DNS failure rate on some of your tor instances:
>
> https://arthuredelstein.net/exits/
>
> Would be great if you could look into this.
Interesting. This affects only one of three exit relay processes, which
are all on one machine and use exactly the same config (and a local
unbound):

# diff /etc/tor/instances/0/torrc /etc/tor/instances/2/torrc
1,4c1,4
< Nickname sofia # sponsored name!
< ORPort 77.247.181.162:443
< DirPort 77.247.181.162:80
< Address 77.247.181.162
---
> Nickname CriticalMass # sponsored name!
> ORPort 77.247.181.166:443
> DirPort 77.247.181.166:80
> Address 77.247.181.166

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver ::1

I used the opportunity to reboot the machine to install the latest
kernel and upgrade Tor. Let's check again in a day or so if the problem
persists.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/