[tor-relays] New Relay

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Feb 18 16:51:59 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 04:41:42PM +0000, Gary wrote:
> My 2nd relay has a dirport set, 9030, it does not seem to be listed as a
> dir authority yet, is this again because of the new relay thing (wait a few
> weeks for it to be measured)?

Two answers:

(1) If you set AccountingMax, or if you have a low enough bandwidth rate,
then your relay will opt to not advertise its DirPort. It looks like your
bandwidth rate is tiny, so that's probably it. There is a log message
as Tor starts that informs you it's making this choice.

(2) The phrase you want is "dir mirror" or "dir server". The directory
authorities play a different role, which you can read about here:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#KeyManagement

Thanks for running relays! (And, please consider making them bigger. :)

--Roger