[tor-relays] Relay Search has moved!

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Sat Feb 17 03:01:06 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 16/02/18 21:41, teor wrote:
>> On 17 Feb 2018, at 04:21, Iain Learmonth <irl at torproject.org> wrote:
>> What does it break if it goes away?
>
> Everyone who has ever linked to a relay on a mailing list message, forum
> question, or in their bookmarks.
>
> It also breaks muscle memory.

These are good reasons to wait a while before turning it off.

>> We don't want to keep it around forever, but we also don't want to turn
>> it off if there are some things that could be fixed keeping it on for
>> another month or two.
>
> You will never be able to fix third-party links in a systematic way.
>
> Why would you choose to break them?
> Does it take a lot of effort or resources to keep the redirect in place?

I've opened #25283 to discuss when (or if) we will be able to turn off
the redirector. I've proposed that maybe we use webstats to determine
when traffic to atlas.torproject.org has fallen to a level that we think
is low enough. It's possible that there are many third-party links out
there and we may not be able to turn it off for a while, but this is not
a reason to not fix the links we can fix.

Thanks,
Iain.