[tor-relays] Relay stuck at Bootstrapped 0%

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 00:53:08 UTC 2018

> On 17 Feb 2018, at 11:41, Paul <paul at roteserver.de> wrote:
>

> Both are no exits.
>
> The error relay: A29D2A78A8A954819E220CEFBEBCE95D2FCFA54D
> (https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/A29D2A78A8A954819E220CEFBEBCE95D2FCFA54D)
>
> The other one: A0B4C435650B6D86D618EFD10EDED34FD2AFF562
> (https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/A0B4C435650B6D86D618EFD10EDED34FD2AFF562)
>
> here you can find my whole notices.log since the last reinstall:
> https://pastebin.com/RLTp7ZqJ
>
> The Problem usually occures when i restart the PI after beeing shut down
> to long.

It is harder for tor to bootstrap when it is reinstalled, or when it has been
off for a while, because it needs to download more data.

> Tor is installed through the apt-get repository. I think it uses systemd

>>> What could be the problem?
>> Are you using systemd, or some other startup notification system?
>> Your relay could be failing to notify systemd that it has started.
>> And then systemd is restarting it.

It looks like Tor never bootstraps, so systemd restarts it.
You can confirm by checking your systemd logs.

Is your network connection fast and reliable enough?

Tor needs a lot of connections.
Does your pi support 6000 simultaneous connections?
Does your router support 12,000 simultaneous connections?
Most home routers don't.

>> I'd really need to see your logs to work out what's happening.

I need to see what happens between log lines like this:

Feb 16 23:37:49.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 0%: Starting
Feb 16 23:43:45.000 [notice] Tor 0.2.9.14 (git-a211f886ad759cab) opening log file.