[tor-relays] 1 circuit using 1.5Gig or ram? [0.3.3.2-alpha]

Stijn Jonker sjcjonker at sjc.nl
Mon Feb 12 20:07:15 UTC 2018

Hi Tor & Others,

On 12 Feb 2018, at 20:29, tor wrote:

> I see this occasionally. It's not specific to 0.3.3.x. I reported it
> back in October 2017:

Thx, I more or less added the version in the subject to clearly indicate
it was on an alpha release

> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2017-October/013328.html
>
> Roger replied here:
>
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2017-October/013334.html

Ah thanks, not sure why my google kung-fu missed this one.

> MaxMemInQueues is set to 1.5 GB by default, which is why the
> problematic circuit uses that much RAM before its killed. You can
> lower MaxMemInQueues in torrc, however that will obviously have other
> impacts on your relay. If you have plenty of RAM, I'd maybe just leave
> things alone for now since Tor is already killing the circuit.

My tornodes have 4Gig or ram, so I also put the MaxMemInQueues at 1,5G
whilst the (D)DoS attacks were more troublesome (wasn't aware it was the
default).

> I agree in theory some mitigation against this would be nice, but I'm
> not smart enough to offer anything specific. It seems Roger and other
> devs are already thinking about the issue.

Not a coder myself (except some scripting)

For those looking for the paper as well, the original URL gives a 403, I
believe this is a copy (alterations or omitted slides can't check of
course) http://www.robgjansen.com/talks/sniper-dcaps-20131011.pdf

Thx,
Stijn