[tor-relays] Publishing bridge contact information

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Feb 12 10:52:52 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-12 11:39, nusenu wrote:
> Once the decision has been made to publish contactInfo, people with
> access to the current contactInfo (bridgeDB, isis?) should sent current bridge operators
> a pre-notice about the upcoming change so they have a chance to react to it.
>
> I assume you will not implement this change retroactively (only contactInfo going forward
> from a given date will be published but not from past descriptors).

Fine question. I guess there's not much value in having contact
information for bridges running in the past, but only for current bridges.

We could pick a date like March 1 or April 1 and start including contact
information in descriptors published after that date.

Then it also makes sense to reach out to bridge operators with such an
announcement.

> We could also to reach out to the IMDEA researcher that wrote the bridge paper
> "Dissecting Tor Bridges: a Security Evaluation of
> Their Private and Public Infrastructures"
> as they might have some additional ideas why this could be a bad idea?

Good idea, I'll do that now.

(Again, adding more context for this list, this is different research
group than the one disclosing a list of bridge IP addresses a couple
month ago.)

All the best,
Karsten