[tor-relays] Exits lost their function

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Feb 11 14:21:57 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 11:55:44AM +0100, Paul wrote:
> > (A) Correct, we recently changed it so both 80 and 443 are required:
> > https://bugs.torproject.org/23637
>
> Thank you for that explanation - how long should it take to get the
>exit flag back when opening port 80 ?

How long *should* it take? At most an hour -- your relay publishes a
new descriptor with the new exit policy, and on the next consensus vote
(which happens at the top of each hour), all the dir auths who have seen
the new descriptor vote the Exit flag for you.

If you meant "how long until Atlas shows that I have it", add a few
hours to that, since it pulls its data from onionoo, which pulls from
whatever on the metrics side is doing the data fetching and collection.

There have been some other issues here and there lately, where your relay
publishes a new descriptor, but some of the dir auths decide that it
isn't interesting compared to the one they've already got. Your relay
publishes a new descriptor every 18 hours in any case, so these rare
situations generally work themselves out within a day.

So: it should be within an hour, and it likely will be within a day. :)

If you want to debug it more, you can fetch the recent votes from
https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/votes/
and see what each of the votes says about your "s" lines.

I try to put moria1's most recently seen votes at
https://www.freehaven.net/~arma/moria1-v3-status-votes
every hour if you want extra fresh data.

--Roger