[tor-relays] Question regarding exit sizing

igor.n.mitrofanov igor.n.mitrofanov at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 18:48:23 UTC 2018

This is why I chose to run multiple 100 Mhz nodes. I over-advertise the capacity, so that some of them get a bit more traffic than they really should, because the bwauths under-measure NA relays and, worse, keep changing their measurements for no apparent reason. On the same bare metal box one relay can be measured as 3-4x another, easily.
-------- Original message --------From: Conrad Rockenhaus <conrad at rockenhaus.com> Date: 2/10/18  12:33 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Question regarding exit sizing
The 500 Mbps instance would either be one of my private servers in my co-lo, or a dedicated server in one of my private cloud hosting locations. With both contacts, bandwidth costs aren’t an issue, but if one big instance would work I would put it on the same hardware that I am running a server that averages about 700+ mbps consistently.  The small servers that I’m hitting 100 mbps on, I’m just getting low cost VPSes for since….they do the job and they do the job well, they’re guaranteed a minimum of 100mbps bandwidth to the first tier 1 hop and Atlas shows them consistently used at that level, so I’m happy.
I mainly wanted to give back big to the community because Tor gave me the idea for my latest free for personal/charge for business use idea that I’m going to roll out soon (I’ll gladly send y’all a link, as I think it’s something that would be very useful).

I haven’t noticed any bad measurements…the three relays I run now, well, one just started this week so we can throw that one out for now, but the other two  are showing 12.55 MiB/s and 12.28 MiB/s, and I’m guaranteed 100 mbps, so I’m doing pretty well on those two. Since the priority is exit nodes, I’ll probably add two more exit nodes in Canada, leaving four exits, and one relay there.
But I do get your points, and the more I do think about it, it would be better to just spread it all out, so I guess whenever I start spinning up nodes in Europe I’ll just use VPSes. One other thing I forgot to realize is I’m seeing a steady increase in the amount of DDoS attacks on my exits as of late. My provider tries to mitigate them as much as possible, but it’s annoying for the end users going through the node and it’s annoying for the people who are getting affected by the DDoS. Putting everything on one big box is just screaming “Here, attack me right here plz, kthx."