[tor-relays] Report on the FOSDEM relays meetup

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sat Feb 10 11:07:00 UTC 2018

> Content-wise, there were some pretty fruitful discussion, but we spent quite a bit
> of time on questions that recurr at other meetups too:
>
> - What's the most useful thing I can bring to the network?
>   (TL;DR: Ideally, fast relays (if possible exits); if you can't contribute
>   more than 1MB/s, make it a bridge)

I like 1MByte/s (8MBit/s) as the "limit" between relay vs. bridge, currently we mention
16MBit/s and 2MBit/s in the documentation:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#HowDoIDecide
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#RelayRequirements

I'll go ahead and make 8 MBit/s the lower limit (and keep "It is recommended that a relay have at least 16 MBit/s (Mbps)")
unless there are strong opinions against it.

> - Can I run my relay on a Raspberry Pi (or similar) ?
>
> - Why does my relay (or Internet connection) die once I have TLS connections
>   established to most other relays?
>   (This instance was likely caused by an ISP-provided router with bad
>   TCP connection tracking.)

we tried to cover this in the guide:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#BandwidthandConnections

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#IPv6
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/IPv6RelayHowto
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/Tor/IPv6
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/Tor/IPv6Features

> Those are all somewhat simple, and I think we would definitely benefit from
> having better, and more visible, FAQs for those.  I will try to take the time
> and make/improve wiki pages for those, but I wouldn't mind some help from one
> of the website-makers to see how we can make it more visible.

I added an entry for "The Tor Relay Guide" on the website:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/installguide.html.en

I'm not sure if naming this section "Expert guides" is the right thing, since you do not need to be
a Tor "expert" to run a relay. I might submit a branch to get that wording changed or
start a discussion (if needed) on tor-dev about it.

I'm planing to go over the relay section of the FAQ on www.tpo and provide a branch for review,
do you have commit privileges for the website and would be up to review and commit my changes?
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#relay

Some questions in that section do not actually belong to the relay section, like:
"I want to run my Tor client on a different computer than my applications."

I'm looking forward to community.tpo to have that Tor Relay Guide content - currently located in the
trac wiki maybe look a bit more readable :)
--
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu
twitter: @nusenu_