[tor-relays] nyx question on info on top right side, present on CentOS, missing on Debian.

Stijn Jonker sjcjonker at sjc.nl
Sun Feb 4 14:14:35 UTC 2018

Hi Damian,

> On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Stijn Jonker <sjcjonker at sjc.nl> wrote:
>> Hi All,

<SNIP>

On 3 Feb 2018, at 23:58, Damian Johnson wrote:

> Hi Stijn, my first thought is that this might be tor's
> DisableDebuggerAttachment feature. It causes proc contents to only be
> readable by root. Usually this breaks Nyx's connection resolution but
> it can prevent resource usage lookups too. Does setting
> 'DisableDebuggerAttachment 0' in your torrc cause the data to appear?

For both nodes I have DisableDebuggerAttachment set to 0

> If not then the next step is to take a peek at the debug logs. If you
> send me the logs on both platforms with any data you feel is sensitive
> redacted I'd be happy to take a peek. I only need the first five
> seconds or so of logs (just need to see the first resource resolution
> attempt).

There is a lot to remove in those logs :-), but one thing catched my eye
whilst comparing both side-2-side (I only looked at the debian one so
far). The debian one was running nyx via python3, whereby the centos one
ran it with python2.

I did an pip3 uninstall nyx and then a pip2 install nyx on the debian
server. Then I had the output on the top right:

cpu: 88.7% tor, 54.8% nyx  mem: 866 MB (21.9%) pid: 1344   uptime:
19:02:04
fingerprint: 366BC592BC0154C0CD1D35C0E77D8F2C7F0B843E
exit policy: reject *:*

So it seems to be something python2/python3 related. I'm not sure why I
used python3 to be honest.

P.S. If you want the logs, do you mind if I send them directly? Then I
don't have to remove all the other tor node details, which is quite a
lot that flies by (so this doesn't end up in the public archives -
even-though it's public info anyway).

Thanks!
Stijn