[tor-relays] 300mbps FreeBSD Tor relay on HPE MicroServer Gen10 (AMD X3421)

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri Dec 28 17:51:00 UTC 2018

> My question is that can Tor work on the HPE MicroServer Gen10 with
> the AMD X3421 (or one with a similar computer of any brand with a
> similar performance CPU, whether desktop or server, Intel or AMD)
> with all 300 megabits to a single instance or would I need two
> instances (each at 150 megabits each)? Looking at my top usage, I
> average at about 20-30% CPU usage on my 50 megabit relay.

based on the cpubenchmarks I found for your CPU I estimate that 300 Mbit/s
are doable with that CPU on a single core.

> * When I move, I will upgrade my server to
> FreeBSD 12.0

beware of the incompatibility of Tor with OpenSSL 1.1.1a [1] (used by default on FreeBSD 12.0).

The workaround is easy: recompile with the older openssl version available via ports

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28616

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu