[tor-relays] consensus-health.html and fallback dirs

teor teor at riseup.net
Fri Dec 21 04:20:39 UTC 2018

> On 16 Dec 2018, at 17:01, starlight.2018q2 at binnacle.cx wrote:
>
> The cause is
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/commit/?id=78e177d622f5f3b24023d04458f5948275a44766

> Would be appreciated if the Tor project published outputs
> of UpdateFallbackDirs.py job runs used when rebuilding
> the list.  Thus operators who have expended effort to keep
> their relays eligible will know why when dropped.

We usually attach the logs to the relevant ticket.

This time, I saved the logs, but accidentally overwrote them.
And I didn't ask Colin to attach his logs.

We'll try to do better next time: I've added a note on the ticket
for 2019.

> On 17 Dec 2018, at 10:45, starlight.2018q2 at binnacle.cx wrote:
>
> Ran the script: output is attached to this message for anyone
> interested.  Live-network test results will vary by time and by
> the location of tester.  Attached run was made over Tor
> itself using 'torsocks'.

Thanks!

> I was bit by having disabled the unencrypted DIR port for
> one day recently as an experiment.

We rely on onionoo's last changed field:
https://metrics.torproject.org/onionoo.html#details_relay_last_changed_address_or_port

Changing or removing a published address or port resets the
last changed date. Adding an IPv6 address does not reset the
last changed date.

I realise that it's disappointing for relay operators to lose a flag.
But we're not too worried if a fallback drops out of the list for a
release or two: changing the fallback list regularly makes it
harder to block. And that's good for users.