[tor-relays] How to use a bridge configured with "ORport auto" within Tails?

Matt Traudt pastly at torproject.org
Thu Dec 20 14:35:20 UTC 2018

On 12/20/18 09:25, Toralf Förster wrote:
> On 12/20/18 3:13 PM, Matt Traudt wrote:
>> "ORPort auto" means let Tor pick. It picks at random (technically, I
>> think it lets the kernel pick and the kernel picks at random, but the
>> outcome is the same).
>
> Understood.
> But b/c this:
>
> 	sed -e "s/^ORPort.*/ORPort $((RANDOM))/g" /etc/tor/torrc
>
> is IMO more easier I do wonder about the use case for ":auto"?

When you're controlling Tor with something like stem and you need **a**
port, not a **specific** port. Especially if you want to be guaranteed
that you will get a port (what if something is listening on $RANDOM
already?).

For example, Simple Bandwidth Scanner launches Tor for itself and tells
it 'SocksPort auto'. It's conceivable someone wants to control a relay
with a script in a similar manner.

Matt