[tor-relays] Monitoring a Tor-Relay - Telegraf / InfluxDB / Grafana ?

Johan Fleury jfleury at arcaik.net
Sat Dec 8 17:03:00 UTC 2018

Hi

I use telegraf to gather general metrics (e.g. CPU, disk usage, PostgreSQL stats, etc.) but I'm not using it to monitor my Tor instances.

Le 08/12/2018 à 04:01, petrarca at protonmail.ch a écrit :
> Questions I could not answer yet myself include e.g.
>
> - What will be the performance impact of running Telegraf on a Tor-Realy (CPU, disk, I/O,...)?

I don't think telegraf will have a big impact but that will depend on how many metrics you'll be gathering and at what frequency.

telegraf has a buffer mechanism  Have a look at the configuration reference: https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/blob/master/docs/CONFIGURATION.md#agent-configuration

> - I would like to also keep see old/historical data but not as granular as more recent data - is there any way to boild down old data, e.g. to only keep hourly data for data older that a month etc.?

You could use InfluxDB's retention policies and continuous queries to do so.

--
Johan Fleury
PGP Key ID : 0x5D404386805E56E6