[tor-relays] Who is permanently checking my bridge relay?

teor teor at riseup.net
Wed Dec 5 00:30:07 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On 4 Dec 2018, at 21:27, tschador at posteo.de wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> I wonder who is permanently connecting/checking(?) my Tor bridge relay.
> The ip is 66.111.2.129 and the period of the connects are 21 min 21 sec,
> e.g.:
>
> Dec  4 10:32:00 SRC=66.111.2.129
> Dec  4 10:53:21 SRC=66.111.2.129
> Dec  4 11:14:43 SRC=66.111.2.129
> Dec  4 11:36:04 SRC=66.111.2.129
> Dec  4 11:57:26 SRC=66.111.2.129
> Dec  4 12:18:52 SRC=66.111.2.129
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/66.111.2.129 gives no match.
>
> Any more experiences with other bridges?

A few years ago, I opened a ticket to randomise authority reachability testing:

But we triaged it out with the comment:
My rationale for redlining it during triage was that the best place to do unpredictable-order testing is probably in a successor to torflow.

(sbws is a successor to torflow, and it does randomise the testing order.)

Are there any good reasons to randomise the order of authority tests?

One good reason is that it breaks patterns in the authority checks, so relays
really do need to be up all the time to be listed as reachable.