[tor-relays] Who is permanently checking my bridge relay?

George george at queair.net
Tue Dec 4 23:39:00 UTC 2018

Mirimir:
> On 12/04/2018 06:43 AM, Charly Ghislain wrote:
>> If it wasn't, would posting the ip address of a client connecting to a
>> bridge in here compromise her anonymity and/or allow one to
>> firewall/blacklist her traffic?
>> Im assuming one could guess the ip address of the running bridge based on
>> the poster email address.
>
> You'd think that someone running a bridge would know not to post
> connecting IPs on a public mail list.

I don't think we should be making assumptions like that.  Running a Tor
relay/bridge also might be the first public internet service an op is
running.  And a bridge operator might not be aware of that.

On that note, I put in a ticket a while back for "best practices" aimed
at the TPO infrastructure (eg, directory authorities), which should be
shaped for bridge and relay operators at some point.

It's not a completed document, and needs some attention, but it should
provide some clues for node operators.

34A6 0A1F F8EF B465 866F F0C5 5D92 1FD1 ECF6 1682