[tor-relays] log "Is your outbound address the same as your relay address?"

Tim Kuijsten info at netsend.nl
Thu Aug 30 08:48:20 UTC 2018

Hi,

I just setup a new relay[0]. One of the messages I got is the following:

"Your relay has a very large number of connections to other relays. Is
your outbound address the same as your relay address? Found 12
connections to 8 relays. Found 12 current canonical connections, in 0 of
which we were a non-canonical peer. 4 relays had more than 1 connection,
0 had more than 2, and 0 had more
than 4 connections."

When I had setup another relay last week[1] I got the same message, and
it didn't reappear so I assume this is about starting up a new relay and
is nothing to worry about. I just thought I'd let you know.

The hostnames of both machines matches the public dns and reverse dns
names. Furthermore each machine has only one public ipv4 address, which
is also set in it's local /etc/hosts file. At one machine I had set
"Address" in the torrc as well, but this didn't avoid getting this
message once.

Kind regards,

Tim

[0] tosk B183A69592D2E8C8C487C054D0849E3C9561DC11
[1] kali 2C76951164C5184A3B8B7CC1914B34E4622B225F