[tor-relays] 4 of Conrad Rockenhaus trial servers are in the top ten exit relays for Canada

teor teor at riseup.net
Wed Aug 29 04:37:19 UTC 2018

Hi Conrad (and staff and operators),

> On 28 Aug 2018, at 22:16, Conrad Rockenhaus <conrad at rockenhaus.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 27, 2018, at 8:02 PM, Jordan <jordan at yui.cat> wrote:

>>> The research in this paper (https://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/cache/DBLP:conf/ccs/EdmanS09.pdf) is becoming more relevent and is worth discussing as more ISPs come out with the goal of hosting lots and lots of exit relays.

>> I have the utmost belief your intentions are good, but the concentration of exits under a non-advertised central control warrants conversation, at least.
>>
>> If the end goal is turning $ into relays, not all paths are paved with equal mind to security and it might be worth considering donation-backed alternatives.
>
> Actually, Jordan, I appreciate your input, but Greypony is technically operating as a nonprofit organization right now. We’re completing the paperwork to be considered an official nonprofit. We allow people to operate their own relay, on their own HVM instance (which we don’t have access to) for a donation of $15/month for a basic model A instance.
>
> They’re totally separately and independently operated relays. We don’t tell them how to operate their relays. We provide support, we provide suggestions, but we don’t operate it for them, we don’t install anything for them, and we’re completely hands off unless they need support with something. Our job is to provide the instance and the bandwidth.

This is the 5th list post in the last few weeks describing Greypony IT's
services, operators, or relays.

There have also been several critical posts.

Please take a break from promoting or criticising Greypony on this list
until at least October 2018.

If you feel the need to respond, please use another platform.

Thanks