[tor-relays] 4 of Conrad Rockenhaus trial servers are in the top ten exit relays for Canada

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Aug 28 00:25:05 UTC 2018

On 08/27/2018 05:17 PM, Jordan wrote:
>> That is an interesting question. Conrad's hosting operation is an
>> extreme case, certainly. But consider two independently operated VPS
>> relays in the same Digital Ocean data center, with arbitrarily similar
>> IP addresses. And consider that both are vulnerable to compromise by
>> Digital Ocean staff. Should they be part of the same family?
>
> No, because Digital Ocean doesn't market itself as a relay hoster-- the
> percentage of relay-hosting clients wouldn't even near 0.1%.

What difference does that make? Digital Ocean certainly knows about all
of the Tor relays that they host. Just from published IP addresses. What
distinguishes them from Conrad's? I suppose that it could be the ease of
compromise by third parties. But it's arguable that Digital Ocean is, if
anything, more vulnerable than Conrad's operation.

> On the other hand, if all (or the majority) of your operation contends
> on your customers hosting relays, I recommend they exist under the same
> family.

Please explain the reasoning behind that assertion.