[tor-relays] 4 of Conrad Rockenhaus trial servers are in the top ten exit relays for Canada

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Aug 28 00:07:11 UTC 2018

On 08/27/2018 04:42 PM, Jordan wrote:
> I'd be much more supportive of the typical "donate x to have a relay
> hosted for you" [1][2] rather than "host a relay with us" without
> maintaining them under the same family.

That is an interesting question. Conrad's hosting operation is an
extreme case, certainly. But consider two independently operated VPS
relays in the same Digital Ocean data center, with arbitrarily similar
IP addresses. And consider that both are vulnerable to compromise by
Digital Ocean staff. Should they be part of the same family?

> If relays are running on his machines and he has access to relay keys,
> the person who installs Tor via pkg and starts it is hardly considered
> an operator.

Well, any VPS provider has access to relay keys. FDE even is pointless
on VPS, because the host can trivially bypass it.