[tor-relays] Individual Operator Exit Probability Threshold

Conrad Rockenhaus conrad at rockenhaus.com
Sun Aug 26 14:49:28 UTC 2018

> On Aug 25, 2018, at 6:56 PM, Paul Templeton <paul at coffswifi.net> wrote:
>

>> About finding sponsors for high speed exits, it could be nice
>> to gather ideas.
>
> Can I ask what is a high speed/capacity exit? For me it would be >10MiB/s am I correct?
>
> Paul

I’m not advertising, but I run a nonprofit organization that offers instances to run Tor exits that burst up to 1 Gbit/s for $15/month with no caps on data transfer and guaranteed bandwidth. One person who runs an exit within this group has the fastest exit in Canada at this point. $15/mo is three cups of coffee from Starbucks, a meal at a restaurant, or going to a movie. I have been told that this is an excessive charge and quite frankly some of the excuses I read were ridiculous.

Do people really need to pursue corporate sponsorship when you can get fast exits starting at $15/mo? Get three guys to give up a cup of coffee and you have an exit. Done.

There’s other organizations as well, but I just brought up my own because, well, I know my own pricing the best.

Livak-

Would you like to have a server dedicated just to you? I’m game, I’ll even chip in, if you put some skin in the game. I have some conditions:

1)	It has to run a BSD Operating System

2)	No Corporate sponsorship. Corporate Sponsors want governance, which we don’t want. A sponsor is never hands off.

3)	You must find some people that are willing to chip in to pay for the bandwidth costs of this server. I’m not going to completely sponsor you. I have spent enough supporting Tor exits over the past three months.

4)	Over 9000?

Excluding colocation costs, power, and all of that stuff I pay, it’s about $85/server, and I’m estimating here, so you’re probably winning in the end. Get a couple of people to throw you $10, you throw in a couple of bucks, then bam, done. Easy day, mission accomplished, and not in the Bush way either.

Thanks,

Conrad