[tor-relays] Cloudflare Onions Beta and Network Stability

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Aug 21 08:49:31 UTC 2018

> On 21 Aug 2018, at 07:39, DaKnOb <daknob at daknob.net> wrote:
>
> Cloudflare had a post yesterday[1] on their blog[2] that said they have about 10,000,000 domain names using their service. So that’s a rough number of the maximum number of websites that will be made available over Tor. Now in reality I expect all their large customers to opt-out, unless it’s an opt-in, in which case I don’t expect large websites, only medium to small to join, let’s say <100,000. That said, depending on whether or not this is an opt-in, or opt-out, the number of websites can be from “hundreds of thousands” to “few millions”.

Your assumption that Cloudflare will create one onion address per domain
is incorrect. They are quite capable of routing traffic from millions of domains
through a few onions. They already have multiple domains per TLS certificate,
and terminate and route those TLS connections at their edge.

My understanding is that having a dedicated onion for your Cloudflare domain
will be an opt-in feature, once it becomes available.