[tor-relays] Cloudflare Onions Beta and Network Stability

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Tue Aug 21 07:34:03 UTC 2018

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 06:53:00 +0000
Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> wrote:

> nusenu:
> >

> > Nathaniel Suchy:
> >> As some of you may have heard, Cloudflare is beta testing opportunistic
> >> onions. This of course is going to create more Tor traffic. Cloudflare has
> >> several concerns about running their own relays and says they won’t at this
> >> time. That said if every Cloudflare website becomes an Onion Service
> >> overnight how would that affect network stability and what can we as relay
> >> operators do to prepare for it?
> >
> > thread
> > https://twitter.com/grittygrease/status/1028020391178989568
> >
> > (unfortunately we never saw the slides if anyone did, please share)
> >
> > They use alt-svc but Tor Browser does not support that currently.
>
> It does in the latest alpha and will in Tor Browser 8.

That's interesting to know. Is there any document describing how to deploy
that on a web server providing the same site on clearnet and on hidden
service? For instance, what the protocol name should look like in case of a
HTTP 1.1 onion service? RFC[1] only mentions "h2" in its examples.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc-12

--
With respect,
Roman