[tor-relays] question related to consensus weight fraction calculation

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun Aug 19 09:58:00 UTC 2018

Toralf Förster:
> I do wonder about any changes in the algorithm which drops the cw of a
> relay [1] by a magnitude within 1 year as seen in [2]?
>
> [1]
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/1AF72E8906E6C49481A791A6F8F84F8DFEBBB2BA
> [2]
> https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/040958f1-a5be-4630-9551-c8f6f9952a5e.png

You are looking at cw **fraction**, which is a relative value compared to the rest of the network,
which is why I think it isn't the best value to look at when trying to determine "is my relay
doing better or worse than usual?"

If your relay is doing great as usual and others add 50 Gbit/s of capacity you might see
your cw fraction and exit probability go down.

Your cw fraction and exit probability is decreasing since several month, at the same time the
the overall tor network capacity increased:

https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.png?start=2017-08-21&end=2018-08-19
https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth-flags.png?start=2017-08-21&end=2018-08-19

The better question might be: Did your absolute cw value decrease as well or did it remain static?

This is why I'd like to see absolute CW graphs in addition to the fraction graphs (and even the ratio of them),
here is the ticket:

https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu