[tor-relays] Random Relay Reset On Mac OS + OS Support Question

teor teor at riseup.net
Fri Aug 17 01:49:11 UTC 2018

> On 17 Aug 2018, at 05:37, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So something strange happened recently with my relay running on Mac OS via homebrew at https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/DB1AF6477BB276B6EA5E72132684096EEE779D30
>
> Just this morning, my relays uptime had been reset to 0 days. When I checked the software it indeed said the uptime was back to six hours. This is odd as I did not reset thee software within the last 24 hours (that I remember), there was a brief time when my network went down due to an ISP glitch however has been working fine ever since. I am wondering, do newer versions of the tor relay software automatically reset if they detect the internet is unreachable?

The last_restarted time comes from the relay descriptor:

https://metrics.torproject.org/onionoo.html#details_relay_last_restarted

And tor relays do not automatically restart if the internet becomes
unreachable.

You can check your system uptime using the “uptime” command.

You can check your Tor logs for your relay’s uptime.

> I also have one more question, around when does tor / homebrew drop support for older versions of an OS? I am asking this because the computer that runs this relay is a 2011 iMac, and Apple has confirmed  it will run the new MacOS coming this year (Movari) however versions of macos afterwards are unconfirmed.

Tor supports macOS versions that are still receiving security
updates from Apple.

As an exception, we also support Tor clients on macOS
versions that are supported by Tor Browser (but not Apple).

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/SupportedPlatforms#OSSupportlevels

You should search Homebrew’s website for their support policy.

teor

Please reply @torproject.org
New subkeys 1 July 2018