[tor-relays] AS diversity for exits

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Thu Aug 2 09:23:00 UTC 2018

conrad at rockenhaus.com:
> I did want to note one thing about these big ASes... sure, they may
> be big ASes, but they are still lacking in one major area - Exits.

we where talking about AS awareness in the context of traffic
accounting for relay operators, feels like you jumped to another
topic - namely overall AS diversity or AS diversity specifically for exit traffic?
(which is fine, I just want to make sure I understood you correctly)

> OVH has almost 4.5 Gbit/s of relay bandwidth available within the AS.
> However, if you search for exits, that rapidly drops to just under
> 750 mbit/s.

When talking about AS diversity, absolute numbers don't tell much
unless you put them in context to other absolute numbers or you switch
to overall fraction.

> A little off topic, but it just amazes me how much exit capacity
> these sites actually have, but people aren't willing to sign up for
> services whose TOS permits running an exit (or can't afford it), so
> they run a relay at an overly saturated site.

there aren't many ASes that hold a bigger exit probability fraction than
OVH SAS (AS16276) - currently just 2, so I wouldn't agree to
"OVH is lacking exits when compared to other ASes"

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu