[tor-relays] create Tor-Guard and Tor-Middle

Matt Traudt pastly at torproject.org
Sun Apr 29 16:05:05 UTC 2018

On 04/29/2018 11:27 AM, dave` dave wrote:
> i want to build my own Guard-Relay and Middle-Relay and use them.
> i already have Tor-Bridge and Exit-Relay and i want to add the Guard and
> Middle, but i don't know how.

When you decide to run a relay/bridge to help the Tor network, you have
three options.

- A bridge
- A non-exit
- An exit

The difference between a guard and a middle is whether clients will use
them for their first hop. They are both configured exactly the same.

You cannot (easily) choose which "middle relay" you want to use in all
your circuits.

It doesn't make sense to try to use bridges and guards at the same time.
Tor won't let you. You either use bridges, or you use guards.

If you have a non-trivial adversary, you probably don't want to pin all
your paths to using the exact same 3 or 4 hops all the time. You will
stand out.

If you have properly configured MyFamily on your relays, your Tor client
may try to prevent you from using multiple relays in the same family on
a circuit.

Hope that helps.

Matt