[tor-relays] What's the timeline for a Tor relay to start routing a large amount of traffic?

Nathaniel Suchy (Lunorian) me at lunorian.is
Fri Apr 27 18:34:38 UTC 2018

I started to run a few Tor Exit Relays (My exit policy only allows ports
80 and 443 only to minimize the amount of abuse) a few days ago.
Currently Tor Metrics shows the relays are only advertising 700Kb/s
despite the fact the minimum port speed on the VPSes I host on is
100Mb/s. I've been told by friends of mine it's because it's a new relay
- at what point does the relay start to route a large amount of traffic
equivalent to the port speed.

I'm hoping to contribute to the Tor Project in a variety of ways over
the next few months and the summer and starting relays is a first step.

Cheers,
Nathaniel