[tor-relays] FW: Relay unreachable by authorities (Was: Re:Questiononrelay allowed downtime)

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 23:24:26 UTC 2018

> On 27 Apr 2018, at 09:09, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That’s what’s strange. I have double checked the tor logs and the only  warning that appears is the “tor cannot help you if you use it wrong” warning; that’s the only one that appears.

Then the problem is probably with your router or ISP.
> I did some research, and according to
>
> https://serverfault.com/questions/145907/does-mac-os-x-throttle-the-rate-of-socket-creation, Mac os does have a maximum amount of network connections it does allow at once.
>
> To find mine out, I tried running this in terminal
>
> Launchctl limit maxfiles
>
> The return was this:
>
> maxfiles            256                     unlimited.

These are the soft and hard limits.
> I tried attaching a photo of the output but got a message back saying it was held because it was too big (the file was about 6mb).

You can copy and paste text from the terminal.
> I wonder if this would mean mac os only allows 256 connections at once?

Tor increases the file limit when it starts up.
If it fails, it logs a warning.
If the limit is too low, it logs a warning.

You don't see any warnings, therefore the problem isn't on your machine.
> How could I modify my torrc file to not go over the max allowed connections by mac os and still be a useable relay?

You do not need to limit the number of connections.
You can not modify your torrc file to limit the number of connections.

The problem is probably with your router or ISP.
That's not really something we can help with.

Perhaps you should run a bridge rather than a relay.
Or get a better router.
Or run your relay remotely on a cheap VPS instead.