[tor-relays] Relay unreachable by authorities (Was: Re: Question on relay allowed downtime)

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:12:22 UTC 2018

> On 27 Apr 2018, at 07:47, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you. I just had to restart my relay again because it disappeared from the relay list for some reason, the software did not say that it was having any trouble

Please check the logs for warnings and notices.

Sometimes tor logs a warning when it starts up (for example, low file
descriptors), and then the issue happens later.

> and my internet connection is working perfectly fine. Would you know why that might be happening? Thank you.

5/9 of the directory authorities do not believe your relay is running,
because they can not reach it: (large page)
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health-2018-04-26-21-00.html#DB1AF6477BB276B6EA5E72132684096EEE779D30

Your relay has probably reached its file descriptor limit.
Or your home router has probably reached its connection limit.
Or your internet provider has blocked the tor authorities, or it has bad
peering.

You can find out which by checking your tor logs, macOS system log,
and router logs (if any).

Some general tips for using this mailing list:

Please start a new thread for a new question.
Please give your relay fingerprint when you ask a question about a relay.
Please quote and bottom post: unfortunately, it is not the default in
some mail readers.