[tor-relays] Running relays in universities? Exit nodes, perhaps? Please share your experience!

Vasilis andz at torproject.org
Thu Apr 26 12:14:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

Gunnar Wolf:

>    1. This assignation is not factible because the Tor network is not
>       compatible with the Acceptable Usage Policies of RedUNAM, being
>       this infrastructure oriented to the service of institutional
>       goals.
>
>    2. While the Tor network can have reseearch purposes, due to its
>       nature and the hiding of IPv4 addresses and anonymous
>       connectivity, it is susceptible to be used by third parties from
>       outside the University with purposes conflicting with those
>       specified in item 1, without any possibility of control or
>       regulation from the University's part or from your project.

In most universities there is a person/entity that can override many if not all
possible "restrictions" in order for a project to continue/start successfully.
I suggest you to find these persons that can override these "controls" and
convince how difficult (or impossible?) is to continue/start your research
project without hosting Tor relays.

Persistence usually helps, paying a weekly visit to the people responsible and
asking them for the next steps or how you can help to move this forward.

>    3. Even more so: The Tor network, due to its definition and
>       structure, can potentially incorporate third people with
>       malicious or even delictive intentions, which would affect not
>       only the computers or networks in your Institute or all of the
>       University, but also networks outside the institution's control

Another idea will be to do a general Tor presentation at the UNAM university.
The date should be based on the the availability or favored date/time of the
responsible(s) for the network policies (RedUNAM) and the persons that have the
special override powers

Cheers,
~Vasilis
--
Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162