[tor-relays] Home made method of auto updating Mac OS X relating software

Keifer Bly keifer.bly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 12:51:19 UTC 2018

Hello List,

I thought I’d share an applescript I wrote to automatically update the tor relay software and homebrew one minute after midnight every day.

Here is the source code (written using AppleScript editor)

do shell script "$ which brew
/usr/local/bin/brew update"
do shell script "$ which brew
/usr/local/bin/brew upgrade tor"
end

When it runs, it comes up with this error, saying tor is already up to date.

sh: $: command not found
Error: tor 0.3.2.10 already installed (1)

As this is the only error that appears, I’d take it that the script works

It can be scheduled to run automatically at midnight every night via this method I found here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/24862/how-can-i-configure-my-computer-to-run-an-applescript-at-a-specific-time-caveat

I am curious to know what you all think of this tactic if you will, please let me know as you can give it to others if you wish. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone