[tor-relays] Running relays in universities? Exit nodes, perhaps? Please share your experience!

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at debian.org
Wed Apr 18 18:15:59 UTC 2018

Jordan dijo [Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 11:01:28AM -0700]:
> I've had a similar experience at my university in the states. While they
> acknowledge overall public benefit, I was denied, citing the overhead of
> abuse complaints and "potential for subverting university firewalls" (their
> words...) as justification for rejection.
>
> They did, however, note if I were to bring my own addresses, they might be
> able to convince the board of regents network administrators to announce my
> prefix and allow me to handle complaints on my own. They perceived my
> potential leveraging of university transit as exclusive and distinct (and
> more secure?) than polluting their precious (and largely unused) /16, and
> had no interest in granting a lowly undergrad access to their beloved
> sanctuary.

"Bringing your own address"? Well, I will look into how to get that. I
guess I could try again asking my university network to route my
non-university's block (we have two almost full /16s; I was requesting
an IP in a third range we have that's not usually associated with the
university).