[tor-relays] Lost HSDir flag

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 09:38:53 UTC 2018

> On 8 Apr 2018, at 16:25, tschador at posteo.de wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> every time Tor is restarted (for example after upgrading) the HSDir flag
> of my relay (6A7551EEE18F78A9813096E82BF84F740D32B911) is lost for 4
> days. Why?

The minimum uptime for HSDirs is 96 hours (4 days):
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2524

Why 4 days?

HSDirs rotate every 24 hours. If a relay has been up for 4 days, then it is
likely to be up for the next 24 hours. So it is given the flag.

(If a HSDir goes down, it takes a few hours for clients and services to find
out it is down. If too many HSDirs go down at the same time, the services
assigned to those HSDirs are unreachable for a few hours. The minimum
uptime reduces the risk of HSDir downtime.)