[tor-relays] Estimation of bridge traffic / Bridge or relay needed?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Apr 1 17:26:27 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 07:18:29PM +0200, Olaf Grimm wrote:
> Should I set up a relay or bridge on www.bhost.net or cloudflexy.org?

I still like the answer I wrote for the FAQ here:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#RelayOrBridge

"If you have lots of bandwidth, you should definitely run a normal relay.
If you're willing to be an exit, you should definitely run a normal
relay, since we need more exits. If you can't be an exit and only have a
little bit of bandwidth, be a bridge. Thanks for volunteering!"

In particular, if you're going to be a bridge these days, be sure to
set up obfs4 support too, since there are few to no places in the world
where bridges are needed yet vanilla bridges (that is, bridges without
a pluggable transport too) actually work.

Thanks!
--Roger