[tor-relays] About relay size

Dhalgren Tor dhalgren.tor at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 16:39:55 UTC 2017

FWIW I run a 100TB (150mbps) exit and am convinced that this size
provides better quality exit connectivity than the highest ranked
monster bandwidth relays.  The biggest relays attract the greatest
blacklist treatment due to the volume of abuse emanating from them.

As a user of Tor I frequently observe connection attempts commencing
with a handful of top-rated relays, only to work down to a
mid-bandwidth relay such as mine before successfully completing.

For this reason I would like to see the exit selection algorithm bias
somewhat away from relays rated over 50000.  Is annoying to wait 30
seconds for the discovery of a usable path.

Hard 100mbps connections will be easier to manage than the 100TB class
of service, as the latter is usually over a 1GB link with a FUP (fair
use policy) associated with it and extravagant surcharges for
exceeding the limit.