[tor-relays] Individual Operator Exit Probability Threshold

Christopher yawnbox at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 05:27:19 UTC 2017

Hey John!

In Seattle, as you know, Emerald Onion is now online. We're at about
1.5% right now. We're grant writing, too, and hopefully within the
next year we will be able to support 5-10%.

Have you published any Warrant Canaries? We're working with Calyx on a
generic template for relay operators and hope to start publishing one
every month, soon. Also, we've been working closely with HardenedBSD.
Are you able to increase either software or hardware (not Intel)
capacity?

If you have time, Emerald Onion is working on material to help others
become their own ISP like Quintex and Emerald Onion have. We'll be
focusing on sustainable nonprofit ISPs. One of our drivers is finding
people near IXPs in the USA to help get started:
https://emeraldonion.org/internet-exchange-points-in-the-united-states/

Like Teor mentioned, it's important for operators to increase capacity
and stability, while still meaningfully supporting diversity. Emerald
Onion is not going to surpass 10% of exit capacity without first
helping ~10 other groups set up and manage their own 1%+ relays. As
more and more high-capacity groups come online, I think orgs like
Quintex and Emerald Onion can slowly increase capacity but stick
around the 10% line.

I applaud you for your work!

Cheers,

yawnbox