[tor-relays] bug messages in my relay's notices.log

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 13:02:09 UTC 2017

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 21:24, Scott Bennett <bennett at sdf.org> wrote:
>
> nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23551
>>
>     Thanks for the pointer.  I'm glad it has been reported, but I still
> have no sense of what in tor is malfunctioning because the compression
> has failed.

It's ok, we're also somewhat clueless.
But we're good at tracking down weird bugs.
Just give us some time.

> Are user cells lost?  Do user connections get broken when
> this happens?

This error occurs during directory document decompression using zstd.

There's a loop that calls out to a function that decompresses some
data. The loop is meant to terminate when decompression finishes.
But if decompression doesn't make any progress, it terminates with
an error. (Otherwise, we'd just keep spinning endlessly, wondering
when the decompressor was going to cough up something useful.)

The relay discards the received document, and tries another mirror.
At the moment, most mirrors don't support zstd, so the relay will
likely get a zlib-compressed document, decompress it successfully,
and continue merrily on its way. And the users don't even notice.

Although, I wonder if we should do more to guard against network-wide
breakage like this. It would be awkward if all relays ran into an
error like this at the same time.

Fortunately, zstd isn't available for all platforms and architectures.
So as long as we steer clear of a platform monoculture, we'll be fine.
(That said, this particular bug is on BSD. But people should still run
relays on BSD, so we get a good OS mix.)

> Has the error been reported to the project(s) that develop
> the compression libraries?

Well, it's kinda rude to go straight to blaming zstd.
First we have to work out what the issue is, and whose code it's in.

Although, I have to say that I wouldn't surprise me if we have a zstd
version incompatibility here. Or maybe truncated input data?

Truncated input data could definitely explain why zstd can't make
any progress, but isn't returning an error code. In that case, it's
our fault for not giving zstd enough data to work with. (And not
failing the loop quietly?)

Because if it were corrupt data, it really should return an error:
http://facebook.github.io/zstd/zstd_manual.html#Chapter9

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n