[tor-relays] abuse email for non-exit relay (masergy)

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 23:19:19 UTC 2017

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 08:49, relay 000 <relay0 at mailbox.org> wrote:
>
> FYI, I got this email for a non-exit relay - please share if you get them as well:

> You have a system on your network that is actively scanning and/or attacking external sites on the Internet. This can come from many sources and because it is often difficult to detect this activity, we are sending this E-mail in an attempt to help you solve the problem.
>
> We have detected your system with an IP of, <relay-IP>, scanning a client we monitor. This was not a short attack but a prolonged scan and/or probe that was designed to find and intrude into the target network.

There are two ways this can happen:

Someone set up a tor relay on the "client", and your relay connected
to it.

Someone is using the hidden service rendezvous protocol to ask non-exit
relays to scan non-tor IP addresses. Specifying a remote address is a
feature of the protocol. We have mitigations in place in newer tor
relay versions to stop scanning of local addresses, and to provide
limited information to the scanning client.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n