[tor-relays] On some differences after upgrade to latest tor for Jessie

a tor op atorop at protonmail.ch
Sun Sep 17 10:24:36 UTC 2017

Hi

I'm running an obfs4 bridge and upgraded to latest version.

Use Debian Jessie (8.9).

One thing that puzzles me is the log
/var/log/tor/log

I used to always see some useful info there, like number of connecting clients during the last 6 hours etc.

I have an entry:
[notice] Clean shutdown finished. Exiting.

at the end of the file with time stamp from when the upgrade was performed but today's version of it is NUL.

I also noticed that for some reason the 'service tor restart' etc command does not work.
Or am I mixing this with Ubuntu now?!.. And it does not give any info back on terminal. Weird.

Maybe it has something to do with that shit systemd I donno.
I have a limited time troubleshooting this right now since I also do other things in life than troubleshoot tor.

'systemctl status tor' gives info like this:
systemd[1]: Reloaded Anonymizing overlay network for TCP

and seem to indicate that everything is running with some other stats info. It also seems to work and Atlas has it Green and there seems to be connections coming in and so on.

Can someone fill me in on wtf is going on? I'd like to know about the differences I feel I am experiencing, the lack of feedback from 'service' command and the empty tor log file.

TIA