[tor-relays] Two-step abuse management?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Wed Sep 13 13:49:03 UTC 2017

Hi!

tl;dr: We're thinking about introducing an auto responder to abuse mail
which then requires clicking a link or replying to the mail again before
the complaint actually reaches a human. What do you think? Can you help
us set this up?

So far, we do not have any auto responder for abuse mails. I always
thought it was important to be friendly and get back to everyone
individually, even if at the core we're reusing mail templates. There is
a difference if a human gets back to you within a few hours, or you
immediately get clearly a auto-sent something that basically tells you
there's not much that can be done.

But actually, most of what we're seeing is automated notification mail,
and lately we also see more and more spam that survives the
spamassassin. An ideal system would track used addresses, and only send
an auto-response from our end once per sender every few months.

We have very limited resources for abuse management, and it would be
great to filter out the noise better than we currently do.

Did anyone set up an infrastructure like that before? How would you do it?

Also, if you just want to help with our abuse management, let me know!
We can always use one or two more hands, it's fun, and it teaches you a
lot about Tor exit operation.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/