[tor-relays] HOW-TO: Simple DNS resolver for tor exit operators

Igor Mitrofanov igor.n.mitrofanov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 20:43:35 UTC 2017

I wonder if these are all half-measures, and Tor needs a first-class solution to the DNS weakness.

Every Tor relay can have a simple resolver built-in, and/or perhaps all Tor relays could be running a DHT-style global DNS cache.
In case of a cache miss, the exit relay could build a circuit to another relay and ask it to query core DNS servers on its behalf.

Alternatively, the Tor community could run our own DNS servers, and every exit node would use those by default.

...I have seen some papers discussing DNS-assisted traffic correlation attacks, but I still don't know how serious that threat is.
I am basically not sure if DNS is a high-priority vulnerability right now, or just a distraction.