[tor-relays] Rate setting in tor

r1610091651 r1610091651 at telenet.be
Fri Sep 8 07:15:50 UTC 2017

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 at 07:19 Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 07:14:58AM +0200, Andreas Krey wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 22:56:17 +0000, r1610091651 wrote:
> > > RelayBandwidthRate 2048 KBytes
> > > RelayBandwidthBurst 2048 KBytes
> > >
> > > But using arm, I'm seeing that tor is not honoring these settings, with
> > > bursts frequently exceeding the value.
> >
> > That's the point of the Burst - there is a bucket that is
> > filled up with unused bandwidth, up to the Burst value,
> > and before the relay throttles down to RB-Rate it also
> > lets as many byte pass as the bucket currently has.
> >
> > Means that with your setting your relay can pass up to
> > 4 MByte in any given second (but not in every second).
>
> No, with these values the relay will push up to 2MBytes in each direction
> each second. When the Burst is the same as the Rate, it's essentially
> just like you're using the Rate. It doesn't add them.
>
> My guess is that the original poster is confused because they wrote
> "KBytes" in their torrc, but arm defaults to bits.
>
> --Roger

Thanks all for the feedback.

To provide some more info and evidence.

I indeed intend to limit both up & down traffic, through the relay. There
is no local / client traffic, only relayed.
I'm aware that the rate is in kilobytes. Also note that latest arm also
reports in kilobytes/s.
I was also able to verify rates reported by arm, by other network
monitoring means.
Just grabbed arm view:
[image: image.png]
And associated network view:
[image: image.png]

Basically what I'm seeing is that tor ignores relay burst rate setting for
relayed traffic.

Based on your comments, what I'm doing is correct way of rate
configuration. Right?
So it's a bug then?

Thanks
Seb