[tor-relays] Rate setting in tor

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Fri Sep 8 05:14:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 22:56:17 +0000, r1610091651 wrote:
> RelayBandwidthRate 2048 KBytes
> RelayBandwidthBurst 2048 KBytes
>
> But using arm, I'm seeing that tor is not honoring these settings, with
> bursts frequently exceeding the value.

That's the point of the Burst - there is a bucket that is
filled up with unused bandwidth, up to the Burst value,
and before the relay throttles down to RB-Rate it also
lets as many byte pass as the bucket currently has.

Means that with your setting your relay can pass up to
4 MByte in any given second (but not in every second).

- Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>