[tor-relays] Rate setting in tor

Duncan dguthrie at posteo.net
Thu Sep 7 23:47:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

r1610091651:
> Hi
>
> I've a question regarding the rate setting in torrc and tor honoring it.
> I've set up a tor relay with following rate settings:
> RelayBandwidthRate 2048 KBytes
> RelayBandwidthBurst 2048 KBytes
>
> But using arm, I'm seeing that tor is not honoring these settings, with
> bursts frequently exceeding the value.
> The average rate control seems to be working fine though.
>
> [image: image.png]
>
> What am I missing?
>
> I'm running 0.3.0.10 on Linux.
>
> Thanks

You should firstly keep in mind that these settings apply to traffic
both up and down - i.e. you'll get 2048 kilobytes/second up and 2048
kilobytes/second down.

It's worth noting that there may be some confusion between
kilobits/second and kilobytes/second.

It is probably worth using external monitoring tools rather than relying
on ARM's measurement, too.

Best,
Duncan