[tor-relays] Any IP allocations available out there?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 01:04:09 UTC 2017

> On 4 Sep 2017, at 11:28, Paul Templeton <paul at coffswifi.net> wrote:
>
> > Could you please define “Metadata”? Server connections? That would be quite a bit with a high traffic tor relay …
>
> https://www.ag.gov.au/dataretention
>
> Should answer your questions.

... but it doesn't really contain the level of detail we need, just a
list of categories and examples.

While no-one has yet tested Australia's Data Retention laws in court,
here's what I understand. (I am not a lawyer, get your own lawyer.)

Each "licenced carrier[], carriage service provider[] and internet
service provider[]" is required to submit a plan stating the precise
(meta)data they will retain.

Here are some things that aren't in the FAQ:

1. These lists of retained data for each provider are not public.
2. Providers may retain and produce more data than the minimum.
3. Other entities are not required to retain data under the scheme.

So, in Australia, if you're running a Tor relay, it's actually easier to
*not* be an ISP. And it's likely better for Tor users, too, because
you're not required to retain any of their data. (And you have access
to more user data than the ISP[0], because some of it is encrypted[1].)

[0]: or data centre provider, see 8.2 in
     https://www.ag.gov.au/NationalSecurity/DataRetention/Documents/DataRetentionIndustryFAQS.pdf
[1]: Tor relays know the source and destination circuit ids, and Guards
     know the duration of the communication more precisely than an
     ISP-level observer.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n