[tor-relays] Maximum of 2 Tor Instances per IP-Address (?)

Petrarca petrarca at protonmail.ch
Tue Oct 31 10:26:36 UTC 2017

I read a few times at different places that there is a maximum of two Tor instances that can be run over one public IP address. My questions:

1) Is this statement true?
2) Is there an easy workaround maybe?
3) Just out of curiosity: what is the background for this limitation (if it is true)?

Background: I was thinking about running several things on the onion network, e.g. one or more relays (maybe on different platforms?), hidden services (like wordpress, nextcloud), private tor client/access, etc. That would be all running over one internet connection with one WAN IP address with sufficient bandwidths. I probably could set most of it up on one platform/device but I think it might be better to implement them on separated devices rather (even different physical devices).

Any comments are welcome - I'm always happy to learn :-)

 but