[tor-relays] Testers needed for Nyx beta release

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 01:03:07 UTC 2017

> On 31 Oct 2017, at 11:57, Sebastian Hahn <mail at sebastianhahn.net> wrote:
>

>> On 31. Oct 2017, at 00:19, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think I've found a bug with the Connections pane. nyx appears to munge all
>>> the connections into "outbound", like:
>>>
>>> Connections (4852 outbound, 1 control):
>>>
>>> Whereas arm on the same system displays them correctly like:
>>>
>>> Connections (2196 inbound, 2651 outbound, 1 control):
>>
>> Oops, great catch! Turned out that we were generally failing to pick
>> up non-outbound connections at all due to a bug in Stem. Fixed...
>>
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/commit/?id=8772dbe
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid that's still buggy for some ipv4 configurations and ipv6
> complicates this logic massively. I haven't looked at the code in
> detail nor do I understand why it might be important to know about
> local ports, but for ipv4 all of 127/8 should be considered local.
>
> For IPv6, you have :: for "bind everything" (like 0.0.0.0), you have
> ::1 for localhost, but you also have the (awesome!) concept of
> link-local addresses to be aware of (fe80::/10). Since I don't
> exactly know how the logic in Stem works here, you may need to check
> for that, too.
>
> Let me know if anything above needs more explanation :)

I updated the ticket to say something like this :-)

Also, are you aware that inbound connections can come in on ORPorts
that are configured like this, and therefore aren't bound to a local
address at all?

ORPort 91.121.230.208:9001
ORPort [2001:41d0:d:22a6::1:0]:9001

And that the OutboundBindAddress setting can be set like this, and
bind to exactly the same addresses?

OutboundBindAddress 91.121.230.208
OutboundBindAddress [2001:41d0:d:22a6::1:0]

Tim / teor

ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n