[tor-relays] Testers needed for Nyx beta release

Andrew Deason adeason at dson.org
Mon Oct 30 22:40:05 UTC 2017

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 13:32:53 -0700
Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:

> > $ sudo -u _tor ./run_nyx -i 127.0.0.1:XXXX
> > nyx: environment corrupt; missing value for
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "./run_nyx", line 14, in <module>
> >     nyx.main()
> >   File "/usr/home/ryan/nyx/nyx/__init__.py", line 147, in main
> >     nyx.starter.main()
> >   File "/usr/home/ryan/nyx/stem/util/conf.py", line 289, in wrapped
> >     return func(*args, config = config, **kwargs)
> >   File "/usr/home/ryan/nyx/nyx/starter.py", line 90, in main
> >     os.putenv('LANG', 'C')  # make subcommands (ps, netstat, etc) provide
> > english results
> > OSError: [Errno 14] Bad address
>
> Interesting! Any time you manage to make Nyx stacktrace that's a bug
> on my part. I'll get a fix out for this tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it's clear, but this is FreeBSD complaining that the
environment string is invalid (an entry is missing the '=' separating
the name and value). It's probably worth looking into why that's
happening if you are able; whether nyx/stem/python is somehow causing
that, or if it's something wrong/weird with your machine.

The commit to address this will silence the error, but it still seems
like something is wrong; all env-modifying calls should fail like this
after this point, it seems like.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason at dson.org